- Elder Scrolls Oblivion Wayshrine Locations - January 19, 2023
- Elder Scrolls Oblivion Testing Hall Guide - January 19, 2023
- The Saints & Seducers Madness Ore Skyrim Guide - January 12, 2023
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is filled with hundreds of locations, and on top of that, there are twenty-five unmarked Wayshrines to find and draw power from. Each of the Nine Divines Wayshrines bestows buffs to the Hero of Kvatch, and completing the pilgrimage of visiting all Nine Divines Wayshrines will set the player’s infamy to zero.
The Wayshrines are also a major part of The Knights of the Nine Oblivion expansion. The Elder Scrolls world is a high fantasy leviathan, where mortals can become gods like Tiber Septim, who was raised up to become Talos, and the gods, goddesses, and Daedric beings all impact the world of Nirn.
There’s a lot to cover and lots of unmarked locations to discover, so without further ado, let’s reload Oblivion and pray to the Nine Divines it won’t crash again and glitch our way into this.
Bottom Line-Up Front
I’ve plucked all the important information you need to know about the Elder Scrolls Oblivion Wayshrine Locations and placed it here: Praying at each of the Wayshrines of the Nine Divines is required to be accepted into the Knights of the Nine faction and to continue the Knights of the Nine DLC storyline.
The player’s Infamy is set to zero for completing a pilgrimage (visiting all Wayshrines). However, if the player’s Infamy increases passed two points, they will have to set out on another pilgrimage. Yep, it’s that frustrating, so I recommend that you dedicate time to completing the Knights of the Nine before running off to other adventures.
Each of the Nine Divines has multiple Wayshrines dotted around Cyrodil. Here is a brief rundown on where to find at least one of each of the Wayshrines of the Nine Divines:
- Wayshrine of Stendarr: located south of Fort Urasek on the waterfront of the land outcrop. It can be activated soon after leaving the Imperial Dungeon Sewers.
- Wayshrine of Tiber Septim (Talos): Found south of the Imperial City, northwest of Fort Variela, and northeast of Harcane Grove.
- Wayshrine of Zenithar: Found south of the Imperial City and Faregyl Inn.
- Wayshrine of Akatosh: Located immediately south of the northern city of Bruma and can easily be found by traveling east from the fork in the road before the road leading to the east entrance of Bruma
- Wayshrine of Arkay: Found southwest of Skingrad and west of the Apprentice Stone.
- Wayshrine of Dibella: Found south of Chorrol and east of Wendir. You can easily find the Wayshrine by following the dirt path that forks from the southeast main road from Chorrol.
- Wayshrine of Julianos: Found northwest of Skingrad and southwest of Hackdirt and is located east of a Wayshrine of Kynareth.
- Wayshrine of Kynareth: Found very close to a Wayshrine of Juilanos southwest of Rock Bottom Caverns and north of Fort Dirich.
- Wayshrine of Mara: Found northwest of Anvil and south of Crownhaven.
Garlas Agea is a great location to unlock for fast travel, as you can activate the Wayshrine of Arkay by traveling north, the Wayshrine of Akatosh by traveling south, and the Wayshrine of Zenithar by traveling east. The player will be rewarded with Relics of the Crusader for completing Knights of the Nine-related quests.
The player can obtain a whole suit of Crusader Heavy Armor and Crusader Light Armor (some of the most powerful gear in the game) if they complete enough quests. However, they won’t be able to equip the armor if their Infamy increases to two.
I understand that players will not have unlocked every location on the map, so here is a map marked with every single Wayshrine location for you.
The Benefits of Praying to Wayshrines
Apart from being required to start the Knights of the Nine expansion, Wayshrines offer many benefits to the player. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion introduced Fame and Infamy mechanics into the game to give consequences to the player’s actions.
Murdering or stealing items will increase the player’s infamy, while doing good deeds for the citizens of Cyrodil will increase the player’s Fame.
Praying at each of the Nine Divines Wayshrines will reset the player’s Infamy to zero, and each Nine Divine shrine can be activated in Chapels to gain a lesser +5 Fortify buff. Activate every Nine Divines Wayshrines with the Knights of the Nine add-on installed will complete the “Pilgrimage of the Nine Divines” quest and will bestow a Greater Power called Pilgrim’s Grace which fortifies all attributes by +10 points for five minutes!
You can activate this Greater Power multiple times by interacting with all shrines within a chapel. Moreover, each time a Wayshrine is activated, the player is healed for two-hundred points, have all diseases cured, and attribute debuffs removed. However, the Wayshrines cannot cure Vampirism!
The Knights of the Nine
In The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Knights of the Nine, the Hero of Kvatch is tasked with defeating Umaril, the Unfeathered Alyleid king who escaped Oblivion to unleash havoc upon Tamriel once again. It’s an expansion that focuses on the relationship between the Nine Divines and the worshipping mortals of Tamriel and expands the Nine Divines faction that runs the chapels of Cyrodil.
The Knights of the Nine DLC can be started by talking to the Prophet in Anvil, shouting about the recent attack on the Chapel of Dibella, and will explain to the Hero of Kvatch that Umaril the Unfeathered has returned and needs to be stopped.
If the hero has not activated each of the Nine Divines Wayshrines, then the Prophet will deem the Hero of Kvatch unworthy. However, the Prophet will give the player a crude map of where to find at least one of the Nine Divines Wayshrines.
Before running off into Cyrodil in search of the Wayshrines, know that the Prophet obviously didn’t pass Geography class as he has no idea how to draw a map. The map is inaccurate, to say the least, so I’ve included images and map references for each Wayshrine in Cyrodil to help you find them (you’re welcome).
Don’t worry if you’ve activated Wayshrines earlier in your playthrough, as the “Pilgrimage” quest will activate after you’ve talked to the Prophet, highlighting which Wayshrines you’ve activated.
The Knights of the Nine gives the Great Chapels of the Nine Divines somewhat of an overhaul, adding new NPCs and books within.
Wayshrine of Stendarr
Stendarr is the god of mercy, righteousness, and forgiveness. For being a prevalent god in The Elder Scrolls series Stendarr is worshipped by the Nine Divines faction in Oblivion and worshiped by the Vigilants of Stendarr in Skyrim, an order created after the events of the Oblivion Crisis.
The Wayshrine of Stendarr bestows the Heart of Stendarr blessing on the player to increase their Endurance attributes by ten points that last five minutes. This is a significant Health and Stamina buff, especially in the early game, so make use of it and complete some nearby quests or clear dungeons.
There are three Wayshrines of Stendarr in Cyrodil, and one can be activated soon after escaping the Imperial Prison Sewer and completing the tutorial.
- The First Wayshrine of Stendarr is located south of Fort Urasek on the waterfront of the land outcrop; the Wayshrine of Stendarr should be the first Wayshrine you activate if you’ve started a new playthrough of Oblivion. This is one of the Wayshrines the Prophet marked on the Wayshrine Map for you. It’s easily one of the most inaccurate of the Wayshrine locations the Prophet marked.
- The second Wayshrine of Stendarr can be found northeast of the Infested Mine and west of Fort Ontus.
- Finally, the third can be found in the south of Cyrodil, right next to the path leading to a bridge near Fort Redman and north of Rockmilk Cave.
Note that you don’t have to activate these additional Wayshrines to complete the “Pilgrimage” quest. Inside the Great Chapel of Stendarr in Chorrol, the player can activate the Alter of Stendarr to receive Fortify Endurance (+5) for five minutes from the Blessing of Stendarr.
Wayshrine of Tiber Septim (Talos)
Talos is the deity of governance and war. He is the hero of men and existed as the mortal emperor Tiber Septim before being raised up as one of the Nine Divines. Praying to the Wayshrine of Tiber Septim will bestow the Fist of Talos blessing on the player, increasing the player’s Strength Attribute by ten points for five minutes.
The Strength attribute determines the amount of damage the player deals with melee weapons, the player’s carrying capacity, and how fast their Stamina drains. This is a great buff for warrior builds.
There are three Wayshrines of Tiber Septim (Talos) in Cyrodil, and you can find them at the following locations:
- The first Wayshrine can be found south of the Imperial City, northwest of Fort Variela, and northeast of Harcane Grove.
- The second Wayshrine of Tiber Septim is found close by the first and just a short walk southwest of Harcane Grove and west of the Inn of Ill Omen and Faregyl Inn.
- The third Wayshrine of Tiber Septim is found west of Skingrad and east of Miscarcand.
Each Great Chapel of Talos is found within the northern city of Bruma. The player can pray at the Alter of Talos to receive the Blessing of Talos and gain Fortify Strength (+5) for five minutes.
It’s possible to activate the Wayshrine of Tiber Septim early in the game if the player continues to travel south of the Wayshrine of Stendarr. I recommend activating the Wayshrine of Zenithar while you’re south of the Imperial City.
Wayshrine of Zenithar
Zenithar is the deity of commerce, wealth, and communication and is often linked to peace and prosperity. Praying at a Zenithar Wayshrine will bestow the Zenithar’s Ear Great Power on the player fortifying their Luck attribute by ten points for five minutes.
Luck boosts your skill levels and determines the likelihood of winning bets in the arena. However, it does not determine the loot you find in chests.
There are three Wayshrines of Zenithar in Cyrodil:
- The first can be found south of the Imperial City and directly south of Faregyl Inn. This Wayshrine is within view distance of the inn.
- The second is found by following the road north from Bravil or south from Veyond Cave.
- Finally, the third Wayshrine of Zenithar is located immediately west of Kvatch and east of Gottshaw Inn.
I recommend that you travel to the third Wayshrine of Kvatch as a Wayshrine of Akatosh is located close by. The Great Chapel of Zenithar can be found in the southern city of Leyawiin. The player is granted Fortify Luck (+5) for five minutes for praying at the Alter of Zenithar.
Wayshrine of Akatosh
Akatosh is the Dragon God of Time (ring any bells from a certain scary dragon from Skyrim?) Akatosh is the main god of the Imperial Empire, as his being evokes his worshipers with everlasting legitimacy and service to the empire. Interestingly he is depicted as half human and half dragon.
Praying at a Wayshrine of Akatosh will bestow the Jaws of Akatosh Great Power onto the player. Fortifying their Speed and Magicka by ten points for five minutes. Fortifying your character’s speed allows your character to run faster and jump higher. So this is a great Wayshrine to activate if you want to increase your speed while unlocking locations on the map.
There are four Wayshrines of Akatosh in Cyrodil:
- The first Wayshrine of Akatosh is located immediately south of the northern city of Bruma and can easily be found by traveling east from the fork in the road before the road leading to the east entrance of Bruma. Following the road west, you will find white steps leading up the bank of the hill to the Wayshrine of Akatosh. This is the Wayshrine marked on the map the Prophet gave you.
- The second Wayshrine of Akatosh is located close to the Priory of the Nine and directly south of Collarbone Camp and southeast of Skingrad.
- The third Wayshrine of Akatosh is found immediately south outside of the northeast city of Cheydinhal.
- The fourth Wayshrine of Akatosh is found west of Kvatch and east of Anvil, surrounded by boulders. You can find the Wayshrine easily by walking south of Garlas Agea.
The Great Chapel of Akatosh is found in Kvatch, so bear in mind that Kvatch is destroyed at the start of the game, so you have to face Daedric creatures from Oblivion during the “breaking the siege of Kvatch” quest. You can Pray at the Alter of Akatosh within the Great Chapel of Akatosh, granting you Fortify Speed (+5) from the Blessing of Akatosh. Note that you will have to fight more enemies within the Great Chapel of Akatosh.
Wayshrine of Arkay
Arkay represents the cycle of life and death; as a result, it has been linked to the cycles of seasons. The empires of Cyrodil worship Arkay, and the deity’s priest opposes forces that break the natural cycle of life and death and Spring to Winter; consequently, they oppose necromancy practices across Tamriel. Interestingly scholars suggest that Arkay may have been a mortal before being raised up to becoming a deity.
Praying at a Wayshrine of Arkay will bestow the Breath of Arkay Great Power onto the player, increasing their Health attribute by ten points for five minutes. Fortifying your Health increases the total number of hitpoints your character. In addition, it determines the health and condition of your weapons and armor and how fast your equipment deteriorates.
There are three Wayshrines of Arkay in Cyrodil, and they can be found in the following locations:
- The First Wayshrine of Arkay is found southwest of Skingrad and west of the Apprentice Stone.
- The Second Wayshrine of Arkay is found southeast of Skingrad, south of Silorn, and west of Priory of the Nine.
- The third Wayshrine of Arkay is found west of Kvatch and northeast of Anvil. You can easily find the Wayshrine by traveling north of Garlas Agea.
The Great Chapel of Arkay can be found in the eastern city of Cheydinhal. Praying at the Alter of Arkay will grant the player Fortify Health (+10) for five minutes from the Blessing of Arkay.
Wayshrine of Dibella
Dibella is the deity of beauty and love and is often linked with bards due to the connection between music and art.
There are three Wayshrines of Dibella in Cyrodil, and they can be found in the following locations:
- The first Wayshrine of Dibella is found south of Chorrol and east of Wendir. You can easily find the Wayshrine by following the dirt path that forks from the southeast main road from Chorrol. This is the Wayshrine marked by the Prophet in the Wayshrine Map.
- The second Wayshrine is found southwest of the Imperial City and directly south of Fanacasecul.
- The third Wayshrine of Dibella southeast of The Drunken Dragon Inn. The road to the Drunken Dragon Inn can be seen from the Wayshrine.
The Great Chapel of Dibella is found in Anvil. If you have the Knights of the Nine DLC installed, the chapel will be raided, but the player can still access it. Praying at the Alter of Dibella will bestow Fortify Personality (+5) for five minutes.
The Personality Attribute contributes to Speechcraft, mercantile, and Illusion skills and increases your disposition with creatures and NPCs. The higher your Personality attribute, the better prices you will get from bartering items and the more detailed information you’ll receive from conversations.
Wayshrine of Julianos
Julianos is the deity of wisdom and logic. Praying at a Wayshrine of Julianos will bestow the Scales of Julianos onto the player Fortifying the player’s Intelligence and Magicka for ten points.
The Intelligence attribute affects how much Magicka the player has and determines whether the player can cast specific spells. In addition, it is the parent attribute for Alchemy, but however, it doesn’t impact the potency of potions.
There are four Wayshrines of Julianos in Cyrodil, and they are found in the following locations:
- The First Wayshrine of Julianos is found northwest of Skingrad and southwest of Hackdirt and is located east of a Wayshrine of Kynareth.
- The second Wayshrine of Julianos is found immediately west of the Imperial City and northwest of Chestnut Handy Stables. This Wayshrine is very easy to find as it’s close to the waterfront.
- The Third Wayshrine of Julianos is found east of the Imperial City, southwest of Fort Sejanus, and Northwest of Cropsford.
- The Fourth Wayshrine of Julianos is found northeast of Cheydinhal and directly north of Fort Farragut. This is the Wayshrine marked by the Prophet on the Wayshrine Map.
The Great Chapel of Julianos is found in the eastern city of Skingrad. Praying at the Alter of Julianos will grant the player Fortify Intelligence (+5) for five minutes from the Blessing of Julianos.
Wayshrine of Kynareth
Kynareth is the only god of the Nine Divines with no Great Chapel. This is a bit odd when there is a Great Chapel for each of the other Nine Divines. This is because Bethesda cut the ninth city of Sutch from the game during the development of Oblivion.
The Knights of the Nine DLC adds each of the Nine Divines alters to each Great Chapel in Cyrodil, so you can still pray at the Alter of Kynareth to receive Fortify Agility (+5) for five minutes from the Blessing of Kynareth if you own the DLC.
The Agility attribute determines how much damage your character deals with marksman weapons such as crossbows and bows. In addition, it determines whether your character is staggered by damage and damage received by arrows.
There are three Wayshrines of Kynareth in Cyrodil, and you can find them at these locations:
- One can be found very close to a Wayshrine of Juilanos southwest of Rock Bottom Caverns and north of Fort Dirich.
- The second Wayshrine of Kynareth is found east of Skingrad and north of the Warrior Stone, another powerful location to receive strong buffs for warrior class skills. The Wayshrine can be destroyed by the emergence of an Oblivion Gate but can still be prayed at.
- The third Wayshrine of Kynareth is located on a waterfront of a small lake east of the Mackamentain ruins and south of the Deserted Mine.
Wayshrine of Mara
The Wayshrine of Mara bestows the Wisdom of Mara power on the player granting Fortify Willpower (+10) for five minutes once activated. The Willpower Attribute determines how fast your Magicka regenerates, how much stamina your character has, and determines their magic resistance.
There are three Wayshrines of Mara in Cyrodil, and you can find them at the following locations:
- The first Wayshrine of Mara is found northwest of Anvil and south of Crownhaven. The Sidri-Ashak Rune Stone is located immediately south of the Wayshrine of Dibella.
- The second is found destroyed by an Oblivion Gate west of Skingrad and northwest of Cursed Mine. This is the Wayshrine marked by the Prophet in the Wayshrine Map.
- The third Wayshrine is found deep within the swamps in the south. It can be tricky to find because the area is covered in dense foliage. However, the Wayshrine of Mara is located east of Nocturnal’s Shrine and north of Fort Doublecross.
The Great Chapel of Mara is found in Bravil, and the player can pray at the Alter of Mara to gain the Blessing of Mara to receive an extra five points of Willpower for five minutes.
Fame and Infamy
Once the player has completed the “Pilgrimage.” quest, their Infamy stat is set to zero. They will be accepted into the Knights of the Nine faction and be able to improve their rank with each Relic of the Crusader armor piece they acquire.
Players following the Knights of the Nine DLC must be extremely careful in maintaining their Infamy levels; just increasing their Infamy to two will stop the player from being able to equip pieces of the Crusader armor and accepting any more Knights of the Nine quests and requiring the player to complete the Pilgrimage all over again.
This can be time-consuming as the Wayshrines are not marked by Fast Travel locations. Therefore I recommend that you save regularly and focus on the Knights of the Nine quests before moving on to other faction quests or side quests like the Dark Brotherhood.
Question: How Do I Obtain the Crusader Heavy Armor Set in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Knights of the Nine?
Answer: Crusader armor and weapons are some of the strongest gear in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Introduced in the Knights of the Nine DLC.
The player can obtain pieces of the Crusader armor set by completing the following Knights of the Nine quests. Bear in mind that the player must complete the “Pilgrimage” quest before getting access to these quests:
• Helm of the Crusader: Fortifies the player’s personality Attribute and Restoration Skill. The helmet bestows the Serene Beauty Lesser Power onto the player granting the player an enemy calming ability. The helmet is obtained during “The Shrine of the Crusader” quest.
• Cuirass of the Crusader: Fortifies Health and the Restoration Skill, and increases resistance to Normal Weapons. The Cuirass is obtained during the “The Priory of the Nine” quest.
• Gauntlets of the Crusader: Fortify the player’s Restoration Skill and increase Disease Resistances. The Merciful Touch Lesser Power is bestowed on the player when equipped, granting the player the ability to heal on touch. The Gauntlets are obtained during the “Stendarr’s Mercy” quest.
• Boots of the Crusader: Fortify the player’s Restoration skill and bestows the Woodland Grace Lesser Power onto the player, allowing them to travel through the wilderness without encountering aggressive creatures. The boots are obtained during the “Nature’s Fury” quest.
• Greaves of the Crusader: Fortify the player’s Restoration and Destruction Skills and bestow the Blessing of the Eight Lesser Power onto the player, granting them the ability to shield whoever they touch. The Greaves are obtained during “The Faithful Squire” quest.
• Shield of the Crusader: Has a chance to reflect incoming spells. The Shield is obtained during the “Wisdom of the Ages” quest.
Question: What do the Daedric Shrines do in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion?
Answer: The Daedric Shrines of Cyrodil are places of worship for those who worship the Daedra. The player can leave offerings at the Daedric Shrines to receive Daedric quests that reward the player with powerful Daedric Artifacts.
Question: What are Ayleid Wells in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion?
Answer: The Ayleids were High Elves and created the first empire in Cyrodil. Ayleid Wells are remnants from the empire and are places of power where the player can draw magic power to restore their Magicka by four-hundred points and Fortify their Magicka by fifty points for five minutes.
Elder Scrolls Oblivion Wayshrine Locations: Conclusion
In conclusion, the Wayshrines of the Nine Divines play an essential role in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, regardless of whether the player owns the Knights of the Nine DLC. Yes, the Wayshrines and Chapels of Cyrodil get a significant upgrade in their use from the DLC. However, the benefits of praying at Wayshrines and Alters are significant enough to warrant their use early in the game.
Praying at a Wayshrines grant the player a buff to a specific Attribute for a short duration of time and restores a sizeable chunk from missing health points. As a result, praying at Wayshrine while exploring Cyrodil may save your life. Therefore I recommend that you familiarise yourself with the locations of the Wayshrines from the images I’ve included in this article.